Sunday 14 May 2017

Day 5 of IVF

On cycle day 3 I went to the RE clinic for my screening ultrasound and blood work. I signed in on the clinic sign-up sheet and then took a seat in the waiting room, as everyone that needs an ultrasound or blood work are scheduled at 7:30am and are seen in the order that they arrived. I was called up first to pay the over $8,000 an IVF + ICSI cycle costs, including the fee for freezing embryos for a year. Next, I had my vaginal ultrasound to confirm that my ovaries were suppressed and did not have any cysts. My ovaries looked good, although my left ovary is difficult to find, which will make egg retrieval on that side difficult. I also found out that I have a retroverted uterus, which none of my previous doctors had bothered to tell me. After a blood draw I was free to go. I had to wait until an afternoon phone call from the nurses to let me know if my blood work was fine so I could start my cycle.

I had to go to the pharmacy to pick up the IVF drugs after I got the go-ahead phone call. There is only one pharmacy in the whole city that carries the IVF medications. The pharmacist was great and went over the whole injection process with me, including providing me with an opportunity to practice the medication mixing and injections. It was no big surprise that none of the medications were covered by our work prescription drug plans since infertility is one of the only medical conditions whose treatment is considered optional. So, it was another $1500 for 5 days worth of medications.

I started the medications at 9PM that night. I have to mix the Gonal-F with the Luveris, add sterile water, and then inject it all approximately 1 inch from my belly button. It was really weird giving myself an injection. The injection hurts. My husband injected me the next night and he was so worried about hurting me that he injected so slowly that it hurt even more. I feel like I’m at pro at it now after 4 days, but it still hurts.

Side effects have been all over the place. The first day after starting I had a headache/lightheadedness and nausea that got worse when I was driving. It was the same the next day and the same today. However, yesterday I had a splitting headache and frequent flips from hot flashes to chills. I was in so much pain that I couldn’t get out of bed and was crying to my husband that I didn’t know how I was going to get through at least another week of this and I didn’t know if going through this was worth it to get a baby.

Here is my 5 day supply of meds

And here is everything I need to do one injection


No comments:

Post a Comment