Friday 1 July 2016

NTNP

Cycle 18 has failed. This means that we’ve now progressed to what is called Not Trying Not Preventing (NTNP) until we are able to pursue IVF. NTNP is kind of a weird concept because we aren’t using any sort of birth control to prevent pregnancy, so we are still technically trying to get pregnant, but we also aren’t obsessing about when I am fertile and making sure that we have sex during my fertile time. So, we basically just do what we want when we want and if we aren’t in the mood when I’m fertile, then we won’t worry about doing it. I’ll still be tracking my basel body temperature to confirm ovulation so I know when to expect my period. I have a drawer full of ovulation prediction tests so I’ll use them until I run out.

I’m not hopeful that this more “relaxed” approach is going to be successful because there is no scientific evidence that “just relaxing” will help you get pregnant. Unless you have chronic stress (a diagnosed medical condition) or have undergone major trauma recently, stress does not impact your fertility.


It’s incredibly frustrating to be on cycle 19 and to not be able to move forward with treatments. With 13 failed natural cycles, 2 failed medicated cycles and 3 failed medicated IUIs it’s likely that IVF is the only option. I know “life’s unfair” but that doesn’t make it any easier. It’s unfair that I’m dealing with infertility. It’s unfair that people get pregnant by accident or that people who are terrible parents get kids. It’s unfair that I have to choose between putting my career on hold or putting having a baby on hold.  

No comments:

Post a Comment